Email Marketing: 5 CRITICAL Things Your Email Must Do- And How You Could Boost Your Sales 1100%
The function of all marketing is to educate the prospect. Your job is to facilitate your prospect’s buying decision. This means you need to educate your prospect as to what matters when it comes to shopping for your product because, ultimately, most good customers are NOT looking for the cheapest deal. Most people want the unshakeable confidence that they have made the best possible buying decision.
And because most prospects are not experts at what you sell, your job is to educate and inform your prospect as to what factors are the most important to consider when buying your product or service.
This means if you and your business genuinely are the best then you need to demonstrate this by stipulating the reasons why. At the end of this educational process your customer should come to the conclusion that “I would have to be an idiot to buy from anyone else – regardless of price!”
So, as with any form of marketing campaign, or any media, writing and sending emails to generate sales may seem like an art, but really, it is a science because every communication can and should be measured and tested and compared to a control.
Research conducted by Experian showed that your welcome email is your greatest opportunity to generate sale because your prospect is now probably more excited about you or your company than they ever have been – after all, your prospect just gave you his or her email.
Five Critical Goals For Your Welcome Email
Welcome emails have open rates of around 60%.
This means this is your biggest opportunity to engage with your prospect or new customer. Five goals you must aim to achieve in your welcome email are:
- Congratulate and thank your prospect. Remind them the reasons why joining your community / list is a smart step in educating themselves about the product/services you offer.
- Reassure them they have joined many other prospects by letting them know that many others have also joined your community.
- In your subject line, you will want to give them a good reason to open the email, e.g. Indicate that you are sending them the report, offer etc which they signed up for
- Remind them that you respect their privacy and of your promise not to sell or share their email or other details with other parties.
- You should tell you new subscriber / customer what to expect. Inform them how often to expect emails, what you will send them and, most importantly, deliver at least the things they signed up for.
Experian’s research compared welcome emails to regular bulk emails over a period of 12 months, testing 17,000 emails and found that your prospect is:
- 400% more likely to open your welcome email than any other email; and
- 500% more likely to click through and
- 900% more likely to buy from you.
Including an Offer In Your Welcome Email?
Research also proves that if you choose to include an offer in your welcome email, then revenue was boosted 1100% or eleven times, compared to a bulk email with no offer!
An example of a highly effective offer is to include free shipping with the first sale. This easily almost doubled sales increasing sales by 91.9%.
Boost Your Email Click Through Rate Instantly by 6%
A very simple strategy which boosted sales was to include links to Facebook and Twitter accounts in your welcome email.
Furthermore, this also resulted in more sales as buyer engagement introduced more connections to the business.
Boost Your Email Sales 20% With Whitelisting Instructions
Placing whitelisting instructions at the top of your email increased sales by 20% compared to having no whitelisting instructions.
Interestingly, placing whitelisting instructions at the bottom of the email was worse than not including them at all. So as with all advice, you should test everything.
How to Boost Your Email Marketing Campaign Sales 400%
By following up your initial welcome email with a series of 3-4 educations emails, sales were quadrupled, boosting revenue by 400%.